Friday, December 02, 2005

Have yourself a ghetto little Christmas

I love Christmas. I mean, I LOVE it...I've been listening to Christmas music and eating candy canes for 2 few weeks already. Now that it's finally snowed and it actually feels like Christmas, it makes it even better. The snow, the decorations, the shopping, the smells, the sparkly lights. I am in heaven.

So I'm out walking the dog the other night, and I'm kind of in my own joyous little world, checking out all of the houses decorated in various color schemes, the snow falling lightly around us.

And I come across this one particular house, and it's just hideous. It's straight up ghetto-style. There's probably 3 different types of lights on the house....a few strings of regular size bulbs, then some tiny little bulbs, and a few strings of those icicle lights that everyone went nutso over a few years back.

Now, don't get me wrong...while I am one of those types who likes to make it look all uniform and use the same type of lights all over the house...but I can deal with a little mix and match if that's what rings your bell.

But when it looks like you just ran down the Christmas lights aisle and haphazardly threw boxes of lights into your cart, ran home, put them into a potato gun and randomly shot them at your house....come on, now.

I suppose that you should get some points for getting in the spirit by bothering to put up lights at all...but where's the effort? Not only are the light strands mismatched....half of the bulbs look so old that the color has peeled off of them and they've become a muted version of the original color. The other half have no pattern whatsoever.....blue, green, white, white, red, yellow, yellow, yellow-ish, purple, red. And don't even get me started on the sockets that have no lights in them at all!!! If you've got the time to put up lights in the first place, can't you take the extra 10 minutes to replace missing bulbs?

Some of you reading this probably think that I'm being too critical, or that I'm a wingnut. But I go to the effort to make sure that my lights look pretty and 'Christmassy', and I just think that other people should as well. I mean, for the most part, the lights are up there for others to view and enjoy....so just frigging make 'em pretty for us, would ya?

Happy Holidays, everyone!!

1 comment:

Lois Lane said...

I love the title to this post! You have yourself a very ghetto little Christmas too ya little wingnut!
Lois Lane