He knew how horribly homesick I had been this last trip, and proceeded to tell me that he was spending the entire weekend with me relaxing. Nothing could have made me happier.
After a quick stop at our favorite Vietnamese restaurant (no Pho in the Southern states...WTF?) we flopped down on the couch at my place and spent the next hour or so cuddling with my overzealous kitten and slurping down our soup.
We got up for work the next morning, and as soon as the alarm went off, I knew that I would not las for the entire day. My body ached, my head hurt, and I just felt beat. I made the call to leave at noon, come hell or high water, in an attempt to rejuvenate myself with an all afternoon nap. It worked. I woke up feeling almost refreshed, and we headed off for an early dinner at a fantastic little Greek restaurant on 17th Ave, then the boy went off to jam with the band while I unpacked and cleaned and just got settled again.
Later that night, we went back to his place for some more couch time and some vino. I don't think either one of us made it past midnight.
Friday morning we got up, had a big breakfast, went and got some groceries, ran a few more errands, then went for a 4 km run - along the river, in the sunshine...fantastic! The boy went to practice again while I decided to nap. After that, we headed out for a family dinner to celebrate my brother's 21st birthday (which I missed last week while I was away) and then for a few drinks at the pub down the street from my mom's place. We retired early once again, on the couch with some "Fun with Dick & Jane".
Saturday morning, up early again...over breakfast we watch some Jack Bauer. We decide to go and check out some new running shoes at the Running Room to help further our (actually, my) pursuit of my first ever 10K race. The boy ends up buying a new pair, and funnily enough, with 2 different salespeople helping us, I end up getting the same pair in women's. We then headed to the gym to try out our new purchases, then home to get ready for our super secret date night. I've been informed that I am being whisked away for a night of wine-ing and dining, and that I need to be ready to go by 7:30pm. Stoked at the idea of a romantic dinner, I start the primping process.
We end up at the River Cafe...a quaint little upscale restaurant on Prince's Island, complete with chairs and tables made of logs and a rustic, middle-of-the-woods atmosphere. It is one of my favorite restaurants, and I am grinning from ear to ear when I figure out where we're going. You have to walk through the park, along the river, to get to it, so after a nice little stroll we are seated at our table, and our server presents us with customized his & her's menus. Now this is not too much of a shock, as the boy's best friend is one of the head chef's at River, but when I look at the menu and realize that is comprised mainly of my favorite dishes, I start to realize that a lot of work went into this. When our first drink arrives and he raises his glass and says "Happy 8 months", I was a little taken aback - not only do people not usually celebrate something like 8 months, but the fact that he knew that it was and I did not!!! I was impressed to say the least.
Our first course (of 7) arrives...a chilled glass of the BEST sake I've ever tasted, and a tiny little cup of trout-embedded custard, topped with salmon roe. Yum. The dishes continued to roll in, and each one was better than the last. We had a drink with each course as well, perfectly paired, so by the end of it all, I was on the drunk side of tipsy and so full that I couldn't even finish my dessert course. It was the most amazing meal I've ever had, and I was so full of love for my man that he and his pal had gone to so much effort into planning it all.
I've never had anyone do anything like that for me before, and it truly made me realize just how good I've got it. Hands down my best date night ever! (the only disappointment was that I didn't take pictures of each course...dammit! anyhoo, check out our amazing menus below)

Then, on Sunday, we got up, cleaned his place, he made breakfast for the 2 of us, and then we went out to Priddis for a lovely Easter dinner with his family (complete with deep fried turkey - I'd never had it before, but it was excellent) then home to watch Family Guy and fall asleep, dreaming of not having to wake up for work in the morning.
But in spite of the early morning alarm, this is probably the first Monday that I've arrived with a little spring in my step. How could I not after a weekend like that? My man took good care of me, realized that I needed some TLC after a month and a half of utter chaos, and my, oh my, did he deliver. I got a much needed break from the hustle and bustle of life, and we got to reconnect after weeks apart. It was fabulous.
I am a very happy girl.

1 comment:
That is awesome. So. Jealous.
Post a Comment