Wednesday, May 24, 2006

End of an era

This Friday is going to be a very sad day around these parts. One of my co-workers, who is also one of my very closest friends, is leaving me.

Well, not me, exactly, she's leaving the company, but all I can think about is how she's not going to be just a few floors away anymore.

In the past few months, I haven't been able to see much of her because I've been away so often, but that has not changed how strong our bond is. I know if I ever needed her, she'd be there in an instant, as would I for her. In our 6 years of friendship, we've counted on each other far too many times to ever keep count.

And today, as I read an e-mail from her saying her good-byes to her colleagues, I cried. Big alligator tears. In the middle of my testing, with others in my office and on speaker phone, I had to excuse myself to head out into the hallway to gather my composure.

When we first started working together nearly 6 years ago, we formed an instant connection. We became fast friends, and realized that we are so very similar that sometimes we don't even have to speak to know what the other is thinking. We've shared tears, laughter, good times, bad times, sober times, drunk time...and through it all we've learned so much about ourselves and each other.

I'm making it sound like she's moving to a remote island and I will never talk to her again, when really she's moving to an office on the other side of downtown and will still be living only a short drive away from me. But it's just sad. There won't be any more lunchtime yoga classes, where we catch eyes in the mirror and try to control the giggles as she tries not to fall over. There won't be anymore company Christmas parties where we dance around like idiots, having ditched our heels and grabbed our boyfriends ties to use as headbands.

I don't want to talk about this anymore. It makes me sad.

But know this, J, I love you to pieces, and even though we will no longer be in the same building, nothing will change. We'll still be best of friends and be able to act like idiots together for years to come. I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavour, and I know without a doubt that you'll succeed. And just think...you won't have to deal with this crap anymore! ;O)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chels, I love the new site. It looks awesome.

I am so happy to hear how well you are doing. Hopefully work calms down a bit for you so you can enjoy the summer :)

Hopefully we can get together for drinks soon

Allie said...

ok, first things first.

excellent new digs. i LOVE it, may steal it and call it my own.

and 2, i have a friend like that, she's my best friend. we met at work, decided to go out to lunch and have been best friends ever since.

you're lucky to have a woman like that in your life, not enough people do.