I know that title sounds kind of harsh, but being Canadian, hearing about all of this horror down in New Orleans makes me think of the Tragically Hip song by that name. It's not meant to be cruel or rude, so please don't take it that way.
Reading my favorite blogs the past week, some have mentioned it, some have not. I wasn't going to, but didn't want to be thought of as heartless and uncaring. I have sent money to the Red Cross, which has been matched by my company. I have watched the news for hours on end and felt for the poor souls who have had to suffer the past week and a bit. I have cried along with the rest of the world, imagining what it must be like while not having any idea the despair that they are experiencing. I have had many discussions with friends/family/co-workers about what has been happening, and I just don't want to talk about it anymore.
Everyone knows what's going on, and I just can't bring myself to talk about it because it makes me angry that the people affected have had to wait for so long for help from their own country. It makes me sad to see the bodies on the side of the road, floating away forgotten. It angers me that society has had to see this kind of death and destruction, which will no doubt scar their minds and hearts for the rest of their lives. It makes me sad that so many people and animals are unable to get out and help themselves.
Even writing this little post has saddened me beyond comprehension. Just know that my thoughts are with all of the people who were touched by Katrina.
Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
One of the debates here in the States is that New Orleans' own mayor had plans to evacuate those on the 'poor side of town' prior to Katrina's coming but neglected to execute those plans. So, it's not only the Federal government but the local government as well. Look how fast we came to aid those in the tsunami, yet we can't seem to get into our own southern part of the country. I too am deeply saddened and angry.
I'd like to think those bodies weren't really forgotten but left behind for the survival of others. I so hope that!
It truly is devistating.
Lois Lane
The response was so bungled with mixed messages. There's enough blame to spread around from State to Federal and it makes me angry too. We're going to have to matchh the Netherlands' construction of a levee that could take a Category 10. They spent billions and we'll have to as well so this never happens again. Sad. Very sad.
Post a Comment