Why is that when you're a human being of the female variety, you can nearly lose your mind over absolutely nothing at all?
I just had a chat with a friend (well, e-mail/text chat anyways) about this boy that she's been involved with for a while now. They're not dating, but they talk every day, and all of a sudden, it's been a day since she's heard from him. Now, to the normal person, this may not seem like a big deal, but when you're a chick and you're really into the guy? THIS. IS. A. HUGE. DEAL. Even after his good friend just told her that he is really into her, and that he gets excited when he gets a text from her. This is the point in time when her mind starts to go into overdrive, overanalyzing every little thing that was said in their last conversation. Maybe he took what I said the wrong way? Maybe he didn't know I was joking? Maybe he didn't know that I was flirting with him? Maybe he ran into his supermodel ex girlfriend and they ran off to the south of France?
It's funny that she should come to me with this dilemma today, cuz I had to be talked down at lunch because I hadn't heard from my guy since I left his place at 6 am this morning. Seriously. I just spent the night with him and I'm freaking out thinking that it's all blowing up in my face and that he's going to turn into every other guy that has screwed me over? Why? Because I'm PMS'ing and this is the point in time when most boys screw me over, so why not him, too? (and then just as I'm typing this he calls to say sorry that he hasn't talked to me all day, he's just been swamped at work - shit, I'm such an IDIOT)
Ladies, you know you've all done it at one point in time. The question is, WHY do we do it?
Why do we continue to torture ourselves over stupid things such as this when it really means nothing at all? It's just us switching over to self destruct mode. You know...the old, "well, he's bound to screw up sometime, so I may as well get this ball rolling sooner than later." Things could be going along perfectly, and with one tiny little seed of self-doubt, the most fantastic woman in the world can make things hell for herself by creating drama in a relationship when there is no reason for it in the first place.
I think we need to just sit back and look at how bonkers we get when we do this to ourselves. The absurd thoughts that run through our heads - seriously, you know you've had them before (see the above south of France comment). Logically, we know that 99% of these things that go through our heads can not and will not be true, yet we continue to let them buzz through our brains like miniature race cars, until the point when we make ourselves so stressed and worried that we need to go to our good friends to talk us down out of the crazy tree. And even though they can sit there and tell you that everything is fine, you're just being silly, you know, in your heart of hearts, that the only thing that is going to make you feel 100% better is hearing from the boy in question.
I just don't get it, why we let ourselves become these totally irrational people in times such as these, when there is nothing to warrant our behavior at all. Nothing to blame but our race car brains and our fluctuating estrogen levels.
But, it's always been that way, and it always will. I guess all we can do is take solace in the fact that even girls like Angelina Jolie and Carmen Electra go through this too. At least they better - skinny bitches. ;O)
Thursday, July 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment