A very good friend of mine had a health scare this past weekend. He was taken to hospital, where he was informed that he had a severe case of dehydration, as well as having had a very minor heart attack. He’s only 40.
I was pretty upset when I found out, and am still pretty worried for him. I’m sure he will be OK, as the doctor’s said that all of his other test results came back looking good.
What scares me the most is that at such a young age, you can be taken from this world just like that. It makes me want to start taking better care of myself. I don’t do so bad now….but I do drink more than I should, I smoke more than I should when I drink (although am working on quitting that nasty habit altogether). I work out – sporadically as of late as I’ve been so busy at work. I try to eat as healthy as possible most days.
But it’s got me thinking that maybe I have to do more. Should I cut out the junk 100%? Should I work out 7 days a week? Should I drink water and green tea and nothing else? Now I know that sounds crazy and drastic, and trust me, I would never be able to follow that kind of discipline (can anyone really?). It’s just that I don’t want to be having heart attacks/high blood pressure/various other complications at a mere 40 years of age. I want to be healthy and happy and live a long & fulfilling life. Yet at the same time I want to have fun right now, in my younger years.
How do you find the right balance of health and fun? Does anyone know?
It sure has got me thinking.
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yes, life can be frail, as I've lost two friends this year. One to ALS and another to congestive heart failure. Both young. But exersize, moderation, regular exersize and sleep with 8 glasses of water a day, protein, fruit and ruffage is key. Check with your MD before beginning a workout plan. That's the basics.
Post a Comment