Concussions are not fun. Trust me. I've been dealing with the after effects of one for the past 4 days. My head has been pounding, I did a lot of sleeping, and the bump on my head is uncomfortable at best.
I bet you're asking yourself right now….how exactly did I get a concussion? Well, contrary to popular belief, it did not involve booze in any way.
Boyfriend had picked me up from work, as I had worked late AGAIN, and we had stopped by his place to grab a few things before I dropped him off at practice. As we were getting in the car, he throws some stuff in the trunk and shouts to me that he'll drive…so I run around the front of the car to jump in the passenger seat. Only I didn't quite make it. My foot hit a patch of snow-covered ice, and down I went. Before I took the entire weight of the fall on my right knee, my head made an attempt to soften the impact on my knee by bashing itself into the front fender. Although the effort was valiant, I don't think it made any difference.
Down I went, purse contents scattered around, cheek down on the icy pavement. When I came to, all I could hear was the bf calling my name in a quizzical manner….when he finally figured out what had happened, he rushed over and helped me up, picked up my iPod (thankfully it survived the crash) and put me in the car. And then, as much as I tried to put on a brave face, I broke into tears…partly because my knee and head fucking HURT like a mother, partly because this was just the icing on the cake to top off my no-good-horrible-very-bad week.
You know when you've had one of those crap-ass days, that one last thing happens and it's the very last straw? That was mine. It was cathartic to let it all out with a good cry, especially when I had good reason to be bawling. But it's OK now…my head bump is nearly gone, my knee is still swollen (and a very pretty purplebluegreen hue to boot!), but the swelling has gone down and I can walk on it again. And I got a weekend of pampering out of it…so all in all, it's a funny story now to tell to all of you.
So please, have a good laugh at the image of me busting my noggin, but I swear to god, if I hear any more helmet jokes, you'll be the next one with a minor concussion. ;O)
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
*sigh*
i have a great helmet joke 'right here'
i'll save it for another time.
i'm glad you're ok!
Post a Comment