I've been trying to avoid the purchase of a new cell phone for quite a few months now. My current cell is giving me some grief, but nothing that I couldn't handle. It drops a call here and there, keeps me from sending/receiving text messages at certain times of day, and sometimes will just shut off for no apparent reason. Yet, I've been trying to make an effort to save money for useful things, such as car repairs, down payment on a house, vacations, so I've put off the extra $150 expenditure for that snazzy little Razr.
Yet, this past week, my cute little Samsung has really outdone itself. During one of my uber boring training sessions, I perused my phonebook, checking out numbers that have been in there for years, I went through and deleted some that were obviously attained during drunken bar moments (naming a contact "Cute Boy" was a dead giveaway). No big deal, right?
Well, somehow, the deleting of said numbers caused all of my other numbers to change places. By this, I mean, the number that was previously linked to the correct name has switched places.
Example:
My friend L, I've had her number in my phone for a good 3 years. She calls me on Tuesday night, and it comes up on my caller ID as a completely different name, starting with a K.
I have also had K's number in my phone for a few years, so I know that I did not mix their numbers up.
I thought at first I was just tired after a 13 hour day, but after further investigation, I realize that when I deleted the other numbers, the stored names in my phone stayed in their correct postions, but the phone numbers associated to the names have all moved up a few positions, so that now, every name in my phone has an incorrect number.
It's really made for an interesting time, calling someone and crossing my fingers that it will actually be them on the other end. I'm pretty adept at memorizing numbers, so I've only screwed up a few times so far. I just fear that one day soon, I'll try to call one of my girlfriends and end up getting in touch with an ex-boyfriend instead. Not really something I want to try and explain, because what guy is going to believe that? "Yeah, so, hey, funny thing, my phone is all screwy and I really didn't mean to call you, I was trying to call someone else and I am not some crazy stalker that you used to date once upon a time and now I am going to hang up and bask in my own mortification"
Maybe spending the money on a new phone is not such a bad idea after all.
Thursday, June 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment