Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hours of Bauer

Not this past weekend, but the weekend before that, I may or may not have watched 11.5 hours of ‘24’.

OK, I admit, I absolutely did, and I loved every second of it. I can’t stop, it’s like an addiction.

Last February, BoyAtTheTime (BATT) was told by a friend that we absolutely HAD to watch this show called ‘24’. So, with a long weekend ahead of us, I went out and bought the first season. We watched it all, the entire 24 episodes, in 2.5 days. We became addicted in an instant…Jack Bauer and CTU became our crack. We would answer our phones barking out “Bauer!” or “Almeida!”, and we even tried to get the CTU ringtone for our cell phones (shut it).

By the time summer came along, we had caught up on the first four seasons, and then we were done. Just like that. It felt like a breakup…we had no more Jack Bauer to look forward to. We were junkies coming off of our high, and let me tell you…cold turkey sucks ass.

After five long months of withdrawal, my dear younger brother presented me with Season 5 at Christmas. I was ecstatic. The day after Christmas, I had an unexpected houseguest, which was super awesome as I love her to death and loved every second of having her there, but my plans for a week long Bauer marathon were put on hold. Finally, the day before I was due back to work, I couldn’t take it any longer. Eight hours later, we’d gotten through the first two discs. Cross eyed and not wanting it to end, I moped my way to bed, where I had dreams of CTU and saving the world.

The week and a half that I had left before the Season 6 premiere was jam packed, and I was literally fretting about not being caught up on Season 5 before the new season began. The Sunday that Season 6 was starting, I woke up bright and early and popped the discs into the DVD player. Ten hours later, with a VERY clean house (what, you think I just sat on my ass ALL day? Actually, I would have, but thankfully I can see my TV from every angle in my place so it worked to my advantage!) my eyes were sore and I was seriously overloaded with all of the drama that had occurred…and I still had to watch the first half of the four hour premiere!! Needless to say, I showed up at work the next day slightly bleary eyed from lack of sleep, with a head full of nuclearbombBauerChloeCTUOMGTonyAlmeidaisdead!!

When I first started writing this, there was a point…and now I’m just coming across as slightly deranged. Hmmm…where the hell was I going with this?

OH! I remember…I was thinking about the fact that I could never work at CTU (IF CTU were an actual place and Jack Bauer was a real person**) because whenever they have phone conversations, they don’t say bye. They just hand out orders to one another and then hang up. I would get a major complex over that.

Also, I would like to have Jack Bauer’s babies.

That is all.

**I'm pretty sure I screwed up the was/were grammar rules here. For the life of me I cannot think of the proper usage. Frig.

Edit I forgot to mention, while on a kindasortablindatesetup a few weekends ago, the guy in question made the mistake of bringing up '24'. After about five minutes of discussing it, he told me that every time I mentioned Jack Bauer's name, my eyebrows shot up and my eyes got all sparkly. Now, although kind of sweet that he noticed, why has no one else ever told me this before?!?! He probably thought I was a real nut job. I most likely am. Whatever.

1 comment:

Tara said...

My husband and I love 24 too.

We call 10pm on Mondays the 'Bauer Power Hour'.