Have you ever compared yourself and your life to people that you are, or once were, close with?
I was talking to a co-worker today about someone that we both knew many, many years ago. I actually dated him back in Grade 6...aww, so cute! We used to have "parties" once a month on the weekend and we'd all couple up and slow dance, maybe even kiss a little.
Anyways, back to the point of my story. This old flame of mine, we still keep in touch from time to time, and a few months back he wrote to tell me that he was engaged. He's very happy, and I am happy for him. (Seriously, with this one, I am!) Now, I ran into him on the weekend, as he lives in my neck of the woods, and he tells me they're building a beautiful house out in Chestemere. He's got a great job, a great love life - everything is just great.
I envy him. I know, I shouldn't, but I do. He has it all together. I'm sure there a few things that aren't, but for the most part, he does. And that's great for him.
There are others from our old high school circle that are married, have babies, have moved to exciting lands, etc. etc. I even saw one guy a few weeks ago at a pub downtown, and he looked like he'd lost his marbles. Wearing makeup and all that jazz. But, hey, to each their own. It's just so odd to sit and ponder those old friends/acquaintances/classmates and see all that they have, or have not, done with their lives.
I wonder what they think of me when we run into each other? Do the married ones feel "sorry for me" becasue I haven't found the one yet? Do the ones with 8 years of post-secondary under their belts wonder why I ran screaming after only 2.5 years of pre-med?
Then, I think...who cares what they think? I have a great job, a loving family, wonderful friends (have I told you all that enough lately?), a cute little kitty that seems to love me...how much better does it get? I'm 25 years old...only 25...just think if I had settled like some of them did. I'd be married already to my high school boyfriend, probably for a couple of years at this point. But I'd have been unhappy...and nothing is worse than that.
I'm just glad I realized that before it was too late. Think of how much I'd have missed.
Thursday, August 05, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment