What a day, what a day. Once again, my life has turned upside down in an instant. Found out today that my boss is being transferred back to Houston. And that someone from the Calgary office will be taking over his position. And that someone already has an assistant. Which makes me...well, pretty much screwed. Yikes.
Hopefully I'll find out sometime soon here so that I can put my anxiety to rest. I swear, in the past month, my mind has ran 2 million marathons with all the thoughts that have been running through it. I better get a chance to give it a rest here sometime in the near future.
This brings me to my point of the day. It's amazing how something in your life can change, just like that, with no warning. From your job, your love life, your loved ones...anything can change or be gone from your life in the blink of an eye. And that scares me...more than I thought it ever could.
A friend of mine lost a friend of hers earlier this week...just lost him, with no warning. I cannot even imagine how I would handle an event like that. I get teary eyed when someone I love leaves on vacation, for god's sake. If I ever lose someone unexpectedly like that, how on earth am I going to deal with it? I know that I will be able to deal with it, just as people before me have managed to do. But I don't want to ever be put in that situation...never, never, never.
I was involved in a dragon boat competition this past weekend. Believe it or not, I witnessed one of the most emotional events of my life. There were 3 boats, all consisting of female rowers, most in their middle-aged years. They were called the Sistership. All of these women had one thing in common besides their love of dragon boating. They have all either been diagnosed with breast cancer, or have survived breast cancer.
There was a brief tribute to these courageous women...and to the 9 women that they've lost to the disease since their inception in 1998. As they sat out in their boats in front of the docks, "The River" by Garth Brooks played on the loudspeaker, and they waved pink roses in the air in time to the music. I cried. They received a 10 minute ovation when they walked back up the docks, and mingled into the crowd under an arch or raised paddles. It was truly moving.
All of a sudden my situation doesn't seem as bad as I though when I started writing. I''m going to call my mom and my grandmother right now. Think about doing the same.
Monday, August 09, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment