Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Minor setback

Can you miss something when it's not really gone? No - the answer is, emphatically, NO!!

We thought we were sooo smart...sure, we're breaking up, and yes, we still care for each other a lot, and yes, we want to remain close friends. But come on...this is getting ridiculous! Don't get me wrong. We're enjoying each other's company way more now than when we were dating, but how can you grieve the end of a relationship, or get over someone, when they are right under your nose almost every day?

Simple answer - you can't.

At first, it was a comfort to both of us to still be able to see each other, talk to each other, be under the same roof. I didn't call him barely at all...he was calling me 3, 4, 5 times a day. At first this was OK. Then it got to be annoying. Are we dating, or not dating?? Make up your mind...

Then, all of a sudden, I reach the dreaded 3 week mark. They always say that getting over something - a break-up, quitting smoking, etc. is always the hardest after 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years. Well, I made it past the 3 week mark. And now, into my 4th week, I falter.

I start to play a game of the "what if's" in my head. What if I made the wrong decision? What if we're really meant for one another? What if he finds someone else and I regret it for the rest of my life?

Then, I take a moment, step back...talk to my friends, who tell me to be strong. Think positive. Focus on tea bad things about you and he together. Do you REALLY want to go back to that? You know if you do, you'll just be miserable again. Make yourself happy.

I then realize that yes, this is just a minor setback. All people go through it after the euphoria of being strong enough to finally end something that isn't working. You have that little bauble in your mind, and in your heart. That "Holy crap, what am I doing moment". And then, after a deep breath and a minor beating from your dearest friends, you realize that you have made the right choice for your happiness. Even though it might not seem like that all of the time. Especially when you're PMS'ing and are all sappy and lonely.

Things will get better. Time heals all wounds. There are other fish in the sea. All those other saying and cliches you can think of. My favorite of all time comes from a good friend: "The only way to get over a guy is to get under another." Now, not quite ready for that part yet, but hey...sounds like a good idea when that time comes, right? ;-)

There, I've vented. I feel much better now. Thanks to those of you who have helped me out along the way.

No comments: