It seems as if everywhere I look these days, I am surrounded by weddings. And everything associated with them. Now, you'd think that, being a single girl, I would absolutely despise this infiltration of everything matrimonial. But I don't!! I love it.
Being a romantic at heart, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that couples, even when faced with all of the divorces and separations in this world, are still willing to make that walk down the aisle and say "I do". Til death do us part, in sickness and health, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer.
That 2 people can make that decision to spend the rest of their lives together amazes me. In a good way, though. That's a huge step to take. What must it be like to find a person in this world that you are THAT compatible with? One that makes you weak at the knees, that you want to share your life with? Now I know that most of us who are still single have found that person at least once in your life already...for a period of time, you could see you and that person living happily ever after in wedded bliss. And, for some reason, it just didn't turn out that way. For whatever reason.
But, I'm straying from the point I wanted to make, and that is this - is there ONE person in this whole entire world that you are MEANT to be with? I mean, one person who makes you smile at the mere thought of them; one person that makes your heart beat faster when you see them; one person that you would do anything for; one person that you connect with on so many different levels that anyone outside the 2 of you would just not understand; one person that you are truly, madly, deeply in love with?? Those feelings would never go away with this one person...you would feel blissfully happy with them all of the time. Is that possible?
Most of us don't tend to stray very far from home...what if this one person lives on the other side of the globe, and you never travel outside of your country? What happens then? Do you find someone close to home that gives you those feelings in the beginning, only to fall into a comfort zone after a few months of dating? Still happy together, but not blissfully so?
I don't know what made me think of this tonight...I think it came from spending time with 2 close friends, both of whom are getting married in the next 6 months. Driving home after leaving them, I began to think of the concept of "soul mate"...yes, look at me, getting all sappy. I'm PMS'ing, I can't help it.
Do you have only one soul mate to last you your entire existence? Or are you destined to meet a few "partial soul mates" throughout your life? People who you share great, romantic, intellectual, spiritual connections with, but are just not meant to be with in the grand scheme of things? What if you don't find this destined one? What happens then?
To be honest, I don't know...the jury is still out on this one. There can never be a right or wrong answer for this one...I think it all depends on how you choose to look at life and your relationships. But does the thought of it make you stop to think, even if only for a moment?
Me, being the eternal romantic, will always be on the lookout for my "soul mate"...but, for now, I will settle for Jake Gyllenhaal. He's cute enough to distract me for a while if he's not "the one". ;-) And I heard on ET that he's recently single as well...
Wednesday, August 18, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment